Monday, May 7, 2007

Henin strolls to 32nd career title


WARSAW, Poland (Reuters) -- Justine Henin became the first player to win three titles this season when she eased to a 6-1 6-3 victory over unseeded Ukrainian Alona Bondarenko in the weather-delayed final of the Warsaw Cup on Monday.
The Belgian's victory in the match postponed because of persistent rain on Sunday gave Henin her 32nd career title, and followed back-to-back victories in Dubai and Doha this season.
The top seed also reached the final of her last tournament in Miami, before falling to Serena Williams.
Bondarenko, whose ranking is expected to improve from 40 to 29, was competing in her third career final with her only title victory coming in Luxembourg last year.
"To wait yesterday was pretty hard," Henin said. "But finally it was a good day today. I'm very happy to win my second title here in Warsaw and the first tournament on clay. That gives me confidence."
Henin, who needed just 61 minutes to secure victory over her far less experienced opponent, got off to a great start and always looked in control after breaking in the opening game and holding serve to love for a 2-0 lead.
Although the 22-year old rallied well, she had nothing in her game to cause Henin any great concern and the Belgian gave up only three points in the last three games of the opening set and broke the Ukrainian twice more.
Henin began the second set by winning the first two games to love, before a loss of form helped Bondarenko fight back to 2-2 and a 40-0 lead on the Belgian's serve.
However, Henin fought off the break points and regained the advantage when she broke to love with a forehand volley to move into a 5-3 lead, before serving out for the match.
"In the second set I lost a little bit of my intensity," Henin told reporters. "When I was leading 2-0 in the second, things were going a little bit too easy at that time and I lost my concentration for a few games.
"It's good I was able to keep my service game at that time. Then finally at the end of the match I was pretty aggressive again so I did a good job."
Bondarenko said the match had been a valuable experience for her.
"I wasn't hitting the ball hard enough to win today," she said. "I was very nervos in the first set, but in the second set I started playing a little better. I enjoyed the experience of playing Justine and hope next time I play better."
Copyright 2007 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

No comments: